Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Manti Pageant

This past weekend we headed down South about an hour and a half for the Manti Mormon Miracle Pageant. Chase and I had actually decided sometime last year that we would try and go to it this summer, but then in March we were called as the Youth Conference Committee Chairs for our ward's Youth Conference. They had planned to take all of the youth down to Manti for the pageant and do baptisms in the temple, staying at a campsite nearby... so it ended up working out even better than we had thought. We left early Thursday morning and got back Saturday afternoon. The kids in our ward are super cool and it was awesome getting to know them all a lot more.We did a ton of fun things while there, but I only had the chance to take a few pictures on Friday of some of the stuff we did around the little town.


So we had some time scheduled for us to all split into groups and walk around to see some of the historic Manti sites. Chase and I took our small group of a few boys to the Manti City Cemetery. I was really excited because my ancestors who first came to America and then Utah were sent by Brigham Young to settle Sanpete County - Manti, specifically.

Conrad Frischknecht and Anna Elizabeth Reusch were just young kids when their families sailed from Switzerland to America. They met in Manti and were married in the St. George Temple (the Manti Temple wasn't finished yet) and lived there the rest of their lives.


This is the grave of Conrad's father John. (Probably Johann originally... or something else German sounding hah)


Conrad's sister Mary who died at only age two.


We had to run into the City Hall to grab a few more of the pamphlets and maps for the walking tour. Inside, I saw a bunch of pictures behind a glass display case and stopped to take a look, because I figured they were the city's mayors. I found my great-grandpa Wilford Frischknecht who was mayor from 1932-1938. It was so beyond cool. What a stud! I guess that's where my political love comes from, maybe?





The pageant is held on the side of the Temple Hill. There are over 100 cast members! It actually was pretty dang good. I went into it with low expectations; I had heard that it was a bit old and corny... but I ended up really enjoying it.



The entire trip was just plain awesome. I am so happy we had the chance to head down for the play and also hang with the youth in our ward. ANND... we are one item closer to checking off everything on the Utah Summer List! Lots more to go, however. I'll keep 'em coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment